Thursday, July 10, 2008

A few favorite pics...


most of what we think about is flowers, but there have been a few cool fruits too -- this one is a palm, and Amanda loves it even more than I do. The orange part is squishy!

As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, fancy-pants in central america is fans: toilet paper, kleenex, towels; but the is the first time I've seen the sheets too. Tomorrow we move to moldy River Station, where I'll bet you all an ice cream no one makes fans out of anything.

Not many Costus blooming right now, but this species is just starting -- you can see why they're called Spiral Gingers in this photo. Or at least the "spiral" part. The ginger part is because of the vegetation, I think, which is similar to that of the closely related ginger family. Blah, blah, blah, I'm a botanist.

We think we identified this as a member of the family Gesneriaceae, but I can't place it beyond that. But they are beautiful, big flowers.

Here's this gorgeous bromeliad we found on the trail. Generally they grow way up in the trees, but like most epiphytes (plants growing on other plants) around here they occasionally blow down. It looks like a lot of these have been blown down, and now they're flowering on the ground!

No comments: